Monday, October 18, 2021

Netflix, Squid Game and iQiYi

I was asking myself how did Netflix manage to penetrate the global market and become household name in such a short period of time. I have posted another entry earlier on Netflix's quest for technology. While reading, I come across iQiYi. Well, actually the rage on the 'Squid Game' lead me to iQiYi.

Excerpt from one of the review of 'Squid Game':

"...his project manages to juggle themes of social inequality, immigration, honor, the thin veneer of "civilization", conspiracy & loyalty without dropping any of them."

So, first Netflix. Then Squid Game. Afterwards iQiYi. I wonder if a movie on economic recovery will have the same impact. 

NO, I haven't watch 'Squid Game' yet. Will do so to verify the claim of the writer that it is all about "capitalism." It took 10 years for the creator of the project to bring the show to the audience. You can read some of the interesting, polarised reviews here

iQiyi hits 100 million users, grows faster than Netflix | AlphaStreet

Image credit - AlphaStreet

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Ringgit Rebound

As of 23 September 2024, the ringgit ringgit has risen more than 12% against the dollar this quarter, making it the best performing emerging...